Sarawak Museum was established by Charles Brooke the Second Rajah in 1860 and thanks the great naturalist, Alfred Russell Wallace, for his influence. The museum began as a temporary museum at the Market place in 1886, before being opened as a proper museum in 1891.
The museum grew slowly, maintaining the indigenous pride, identity and tradition of Sarawakians. It survived the Second World War and even stood on a sounder footing when Sarawak gained its independence through the formation of Malaysia in 1963. As the result, Sarawak Museum enjoys the international recognition not only as a superb museum but also as a research centre in Borneo where Sarawak Museum Journals are published annually for the world circulation since 1910.