1) Competition Dates
Athletics competition for Asia Pacific Masters Games 2018 (APMG2018) offers each athlete the opportunity to compete in multiple disciplines at the Games. The provisional Athletics competition schedule for APMG2018 is as follows:
The Opening Ceremony is scheduled for the evening of Saturday 8th September 2018 with the Closing Ceremony on the evening of Saturday 15th September 2018. All dates and times are subject to change, pending final entries received. A detailed schedule for each age category will be developed throughout 2017 and early 2018.
2) Competition Format
The APMG2018 Athletics competition consists of two disciplines: Road events and Track and Field events.
All registered Athletics participants can compete in multiple disciplines. For example, an athlete registered to compete in a Road event can also choose to register for Track and Field events.
Each athlete can enter up to a maximum of five (5) events in the Track and Field, and one (1) relay including the road race.
In line with the sport specific rules, an athlete must compete in their actual age group, with your age determined as at 7th September 2018.
If there are insufficient entries in an age category, categories may be combined in order to conduct a viable competition. The awarding of medals will not be affected, that is, individuals will still be awarded medals in the age category in which they originally entered. The age categories for Athletics at APMG2018 are as follows:
Individual Men: M30 (30-34), M35 (35-39), M40 (40-44), M45 (45-49), M50 (50-54), M55 (55-59), M60 (60- 64), M65 (65-69), M70 (70-74), M75 (75-79), M80 (80-84), M85 (85-89), M90 (90-94), M95 (95-99), M100 (100+)
Individual Women: W30 (30-34), W35 (35-39), W40 (40-44), W45 (45-49), W50 (50-54), W55 (55-59), W60 (60- 64), W65 (65-69), W70 (70-74), W75 (75-79), W80 (80-84), W85 (85-89), W90 (90-94), W95 (95-99), W100(100+)
Men and Women: <160, 160-199, 200-239, 240+
2.1 Road Events
The 10km and Half Marathon events will be held on the same day during the Games. As such, each athlete must choose to enter at the time of registration, either the 10km or the Half Marathon only. The following Road events are offered:
|Road||10km||Men’s/Women’s: All age categories|
|Road||Half Marathon||Men’s/Women’s: All age categories|
It is possible to register with the intention to walk in the Road events; however, as the event is conducted on public roads and permission is provided to close all or parts of those roads, there are certain time restrictions after which athletes will be required to continue the event on the footpath, or for safety reasons, may be withdrawn from the event.
2.2 Track And Field
The Track and Field event schedule follows the Asia Pacific Masters Games Athletics competition program (with minor exceptions).
The following Track and Field events are offered:
|Track||80m Hurdles||M70 & older; W40 & older|
|Track||100m Hurdles||M40 - M69; W30 - W39|
|Track||110m Hurdles||M30 - M39|
|Track||300m Hurdles||M60 - M79; W50 - W69|
|Track||400m Hurdles||M30 - M59; W30 - W49|
|Track||2000m Steeplechase||M60 & older|
|Track||3000m Steeplechase||M30 - M59|
|Track||4x 100m Relay||<160, 160-199, 200-239, 240+|
|Track||4 x 400m Relay||<160, 160-199, 200-239, 240+|
|Track||1500m Track Race Walk||All|
|Track||3000m Track Race Walk||All|
|Track||5000m Track Race Walk||All|
3) Venue Details
All events will be conducted on a closed road circuit. The 10km event will be a single ‘out and back’ course, whilst the Half Marathon runners will complete two laps of the course.
3.2 Track and Field
The Track and Field events will be held at the Penang City Stadium.
4) Competition Details
4.1 Competition Rules
- Asia Pacific Masters Games athletics competition shall be conducted in accordance with the technical rules of IAAF except as modified by By-Laws and /or Rules of Competitions. The rule changes shall require endorsement by the Malaysian Athletic Federation Technical Committee before being introduced into competition.
- The Malaysian Athletic Federation shall define the roles of International Officials with regard to the specific needs of a master athletics championship.
- In the Championships, all competitors must wear appropriate sporting attires.
- The Organizing Committee shall appoint a Safety Judge with authority to withdraw from competition any athlete who is improperly performing the event whose continued participation in the competition would in the opinion of the Safety Judge endanger the athlete's health or the progress of other competitors. The Safety Judge may exercise his authority through deputies, and both the Safety Judge and any deputies shall be clearly identifiable as such.
- Competitors shall be advised, preferably in the program, of the reporting time for each event. No round or stage of any event will commence at a time earlier than that shown in the printed programme.
- Where possible some events will be combined to reduce session times. The top three athletes in each age category for each event will be awarded competition medals.
4.2 Track Events
- For outdoor track events which are conducted entirely in lanes, lane assignments in rounds after the first round shall be based on competitors performances (times) at the most recent stage of the event and shall be as follows:
- 1st - lane 4; 2nd - lane 5; 3rd - lane 3; 4th - lane 6; 5th - lane 2; 6th - lane 7; 7th - lane 1; 8th - lane 8; 9th - lane 9
- Where two or more competitors have recorded the same time at the most recent stage, those competitors shall draw lots for the lanes involved.
- The Meeting Director or his designee may alter the composition of heats, as well as the number of participants per heat, depending on the number of competitors actually reporting.
- First preliminary rounds, if required, will always be run at their scheduled times. Further rounds will then be cancelled as necessary. All finals will be run at their scheduled times
- Master competitors are not required to use starting blocks or a crouch start or have both hands in contact with the track for the start of any race.
- In any race, athletes who are charged with a false start as determined by the head starter shall be warned. Athletes who are charged with a second false start in the same race as determined by the head starter, shall be disqualified. The current IAAF rule regarding one false start is consequently not adopted in this championship.
4.3 Hurdle Races
- Competitors must hurdle with a continuous motion thus ensuring that both feet must be off the ground for at least an instant.
- Competitors may hurdle or vault the barriers or step on the top rail in continuous motion but may not climb them. The hands or the feet may touch only the top surface of the barrier and no other part of the body may touch any part of the barriers.
4.5. Relay Races
- In this Championship, relay races 4x100 and 4x400 meters shall be conducted in 4 age groups: <160, 160 - 199, 200 - 239 and 240+.
- In this Championship, in each relay race an athlete may compete for a team in only one age group which may be a lower age group that that of the athlete.
4.6. Field Events
- Competitors may use their own implements, provided these are checked and marked as approved by Organizing Committee before the competition and made available to all competitors (Such implements if any should be submitted to the Organizing Committee a day before the Championship)
- When a field event competition includes competitors in different age groups, such groups will be considered separate competitions for the purpose of deciding which competitors shall be allowed to advance. There may thus be more than the usual maximum number of competitors allowed additional trials.
- When a high jump and pole vault competition includes competitors in different age groups jumping and vaulting in the same competition pool and there is only one competitor left in an age group, that competitor shall have the right to have the height of the bar raised in terms of applicable IAAF Rules even though other competitors in other age groups may still be jumping/vaulting. Said competitors must continue in the normal progression and may not jump at these special heights.
- In the jumping events (High Jump & Pole Vault) only one number bib shall be required.
4.7. High Jump/Pole Vault
- Both feet must be off the ground during the vault.
- Competitors are allowed to touch the landing area before clearing the bar but may not use the landing area to any advantage as determined by the Field Referee.
4.8. Throwing Implements
- The specifications for the throwing implements shall be as set out in the technical rules of IAAF.
All achievements established at this Championship shall automatically be recognized and be considered new records in future.
5) Technical Handbook
The Technical Hand book shall be prepared by the Organizing Committee in consultation with the Technical Delegate appointed by the Malaysian Athletics Federation (MAF). The Technical Hand Book will be prepared prior to the start of the Championship.
6) Technical officials
For the Championship:
- Officials of the competition shall be appointed by the MAF.
- Two International Race walking judges shall be appointed by the MAF in consultation with the Technical Delegate.
- Up to a maximum of five qualified International Technical Officials may be appointed by the MAF in consultation with the Technical Delegate.
7) Site Inspections and Briefings
- The Technical Delegate and member of the MAF Technical Committee shall visit the sites and make preparation for the Championships including the availability of suitable tracks, throwing and jumping area, warm up facilities and equipment.
- All officials of the meeting shall be briefed on their duties and responsibilities before the commencement of the Championships by the Technical Delegate.
8) Medal Ceremonies
Medal ceremonies will be held at the competition venue within a reasonable time after the completion of the event. For this purpose, a schedule will be made available in the Technical Handbook.
9) Technical Delegate
The MAF has endorsed the appointment of Mr PHD Waidyatilaka (Sri Lanka) to act in the role of Technical Delegate for the APMG2018 Athletics competition. The Technical Delegate will oversee the implementation of all sport specific rules and requirements at the Games.
The APMG 2018 organisers recommend the following selected hotels for athletics participants based on location and accessibility to the competition venue:
- Sunway Hotel Georgetown
- Hotel Neo Penang
- Hotel Jen Penang
- Cititel Hotel Penang
However, participants are free to select own accommodation according to own preference. To assist participants, an accommodation booking section offering special room rates for the Games is made available on the official website www.apmg2018.com
11) Further Information
If you have any further sport specific questions, please send an email to [email protected].